The Wisconsin culinary tour continues into Columbia and Crawford Counties. Can we find cheese, fudge and fun stops too?
56,000 people occupy 773 square miles with Portage as the county seat. Other cities include Columbus and Poynette. The Wisconsin River forms the western border of the county. The Merrimac ferry, a free car ferry, crosses the river from a point in the southwest corner of the county.
WisconsinMade artisan partners based in Columbia County include:
- Home Portraits by Marcia Sparks
- Wisconsin Dairyland Fudge is the maker of fine fudge and a fan favorite — bacon caramel popcorn.
Edible Antics recommendations in Columbia County include:
- Sassy Cow Creamery in Columbus is a milk and ice cream producer with a shop that is open seven days a week.
- Lodi Sausage features award winning sausages, hams and jerky
- Fitz’s on the Lake is a waterfront rest stop for cars and boaters.
- The Thirsty Moose on Lake Wisconsin is also a good waterfront restaurant
- Cimaroli’s Supper Club in Portage delivers the Wisconsin Supper Club experience.
About 17,000 folks occupy 572 square miles with Prairie du Chien as the county seat. Other cities include Gays Mills and Soldiers Grove. A great recreational river, the Kickapoo River, runs south through the county. The rolling hills and valleys of this county are classic driftless examples of the southwestern Wisconsin topography. The apple orchards and their shops are very popular in the fall harvest season, especially the Apple Festival held each year in late September.
Edible Antics recommendations in Crawford County include:
- The Local Oven in Prairie du Chien is a favorite local bakery.
- Kickapoo Locker Service in Gays Mills is a full service meat supplier.
- Jones Black Angus Supper Club in Prairie du Chien is a traditional Wisconsin Supper Club.
Did we miss your favorite recommendation for Clark or Crawford County? Let us know and we’ll add it the list for future recognition.
Tune in next week for Dane and Dodge County spots and recommendations of products made with pride and passion in Wisconsin.