WisconsinMade blog Edible Antics is on tour in Wisconsin posting virtual culinary tour entries from Wisconsin counties in alphabetical order. Click here for the full list. We are finding special Supper Clubs, bakeries, meat markets, breweries, wineries, bed and breakfasts, parks, attractions and anything we think visitors might enjoy in each county we visit. We’ll post some background information on each county followed by specific links to our WisconsinMade artisan partners and to our Edible Antics recommendations for each county.
This week we continue our Wisconsin counties virtual culinary tour in Milwaukee County looking for edibles and adventures.
Well… where to begin? I will not be able to do justice to all that Milwaukee County has to offer its visitors in this brief post. I will try to provide links to additional info for your use in exploring all that this vibrant city has to offer its visitors.
Milwaukee County is 241 square miles (3rd smallest in Wisconsin) and has a population of 947,700 for the largest in in Wisconsin. It has 16% of the state’s population on less than 1% of its land area. Based upon various measures it is the nation’s 30th largest metropolitan community. And by far Wisconsin’s largest. It is the cultural, economic, historic and culinary leader of the Wisconsin community. To begin to explore the various Milwaukee based bakeries, meat markets, supper clubs, Bed and Breakfasts, parks, history, attractions and events would require a whole book. In fact we have three of them on WisconsinMade.
- Milwaukee Then and Now is A historical comparison is a history of Wisconsin’s largest city including landmarks as they once looked alongside the same viewpoint photographed today
- A City at War focuses on the labor experience of working men and women in Milwaukee, Wisconsin during World War II
- Cream City Chronicles is a classic collection of Milwaukee history including lively stories about the people, events, landmarks, and institutions that have made the “cream city” a unique American community
WisconsinMade Artisan partners in Milwaukee County
- Fruit Ranch Gift Baskets offers unique and artistic gift baskets on WisconsinMade featuring quality gourmet products made in the Badger state.
- Bay View Packing is dedicated to providing pickled delicacies to discriminating buyers. Their scrumptious foods are produced with skills and Old World traditions passed on through four generations
- Klement’s Sausage Company is totally committed to continue to offer only the finest product possible. Their products are superior because they are selective about the ingredients, the manufacturing process, and the handling of raw materials and finished products.
- Shimmering Glass provides unique one of a kind works of art in Fused Glass
- Author Tom Kertscher wrote the book Brett Favre – A Packer Fans Tribute
- KP Toffee is handcrafted in small batches for a unique crunch and buttery flavor. KP Toffee uses the finest ingredients and no preservatives to offer great tasting products
- Knight Gourmet Popcorn is not only cholesterol-free, low in saturated fats, 0 trans-fat and low sodium, but it tastes great too.
- Clock Shadow Creamery makes fresh cheese, cheese curds, and Quark, a German-style spreadable cheese, using environmentally responsible production techniques
- CityTins provides restaurant or lounge discount gift cards in the form of coasters offering deals in Milwaukee or Madison
- Suzy’s Cream Cheesecakes stand out among commercially produced cheesecakes because quality always comes first
Other cities in the county include:
- Oak Creek
- South Milwaukee
- St. Francis
- West Allis
Milwaukee is a big beautiful lake side city with all the metropolitan amenities. Beautiful hotels, restaurants, theaters, museums, galleries, parks, events and attractions for visitors to tour all year long. While not as well known as New York, LA or Las Vegas it does offer the visitor a broad pallet of fun opportunities.
Additional Edible Antics Recommendations
- The Milwaukee Art Museum
- Miller Park is home of Milwaukee Brewers baseball
- Lakeshore State Park
- Henry Meier Festival Park is home to many ethic festivals each year and Summerfest the largest music festival in the world.
- Wisconsin State Fair Park is home to the State Fair and many other events each year
- Milwaukee Public Museum is a premier natural history and science facility. The museum is world-
renowned for its collections, ongoing scientific research and educational exhibits.
- Harley Davidson Museum has more than 450 motorcycles and artifacts, dating back to Serial Number One, the oldest known Harley-Davidson® motorcycle
- 69 Historic Places listed in the National Register of Historic Places
- Milwaukee Public Market is a unique downtown food destination! Bursting with unique, high quality selections of artisan and ethnic products, and freshly-made prepared foods, you’re sure to enjoy shopping the independent merchants of the Milwaukee Public Market.
All cities this large usually have a number of good restaurants, pubs and bistros. Milwaukee is blessed with a broad selection of ethnic cuisine. This listing is not all inclusive but should give the tour director multiple choices. In no particular order:
- Bartolotta’s Lake Park Bistro
- Harbor House
- Sobelman’s Pub and Grill
- Leon’s Frozen Custard
- Singha Thai Restaurant
- Ristorante Bartolotta
- Mason Street Grill
- Mo’s A Place For Steaks
- Milwaukee Chophouse
Did we miss your favorite? Make a suggestion.
And the city will also include bakeries and meat markets to visit
- Peter Sciortino’s Bakery
- Mercade El Ray
- Freese’s Candy Shoppe
- Ray’s Butcher Shoppe
- Simma’s Ovens Bakery
What is your favorite bakery and meat market in Milwaukee?
And did you know that Milwaukee is home to some fine beers? In addition to the major national brand (Miller) it is home to some microbrewers as well. Check these out
So many beers, so little time.
We hope you get a chance to enjoy all of these fine establishments in Milwaukee. Join us next week as we tour Monroe and Oconto counties looking for people, places and edibles made with pride and passion in Wisconsin.