Edible Antics is traveling this week to Sawyer and Shawano counties in Wisconsin. We are finding the special Supper Clubs, bakeries, meat markets, breweries, bike trails, wineries, bed and breakfasts, parks, attractions and anything Wisconsinmade we think you might enjoy in each county we visit. We’ll post to our Edible Antics recommendations for each county alphabetically by county.
Hayward is the Sawyer County seat. The county’s 1,256 square miles are home to 16,600 people. Other cities and villages in the county include:
This area was settled in the 1850’s by folks moving from New York, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. Logging was the principle industry. In the 1890’s new arrivals came from Germany, Norway, Poland, Ireland and Sweden. The logging tradition continues July 28 -30 when Hayward hosts the annual Lumberjack World Championships. There will be 21 events for competitors from all over the world. The Chequamegon National Forest areas in Sawyer County are a recreational treasure for outdoors fans. There are over 300 miles of mountain bike and hiking trails in the area. Hayward also hosts the annual Birkebeiner Cross Country Ski Race from Cable to Hayward. This 55km marathon ski race attracts competitors from all countries and recreational skiers too. The finish runs down the main street in downtown Hayward.
Hayward also hosts the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame was founded in 1960 and now occupies seven buildings. One of the buildings is a 143-foot-long fiberglass sculpture of a jumping Muskie fish. The lower jaw of the fish is an observation deck. The museum contains exhibitions of over 400 fish. The Hall of Fame also maintains records for the largest fresh water fish in the United States and the world.
The Saint Croix National Scenic Riverway and the Chippewa River both run through the county and provide recreational and vacation opportunities galore.
Wisconsinmade Artisan partners in Sawyer County
U-Roast-Em gets sent only the best green coffee beans the market has to offer. Home roasting is easy, quick, economical and fun! Roast with a skillet, oven, a popcorn air popper, or a dedicated coffee roaster. Green coffee sells for less than roasted specialty coffee. Coffee you roast is always fresher. You control the roasting process and taste. Create your own blends for your mood or occasion.
Additional Edible Antics Sawyer County Recommendations
- Angry Minnow Brewery is a brew pub in Hayward located in a historic building serving food and craft beers made on the premise
- Lynn’s Custom Meats in Hayward offers a broad selection of meats, cheeses and other specialty foods.
- McCormick House Bed & Breakfast in Hayward has been voted one of the top Inns in the Midwest.
- Spider Lake Lodge is a lodge bed and breakfast facility on Spider Lake chain of lakes.
- Forest Moon Bed & Breakfast is two story log home in a clearing in the north woods near Hayward.
Shawano County seat is the city of Shawano. The population of 41,000 occupies 892 square miles. Other cities and villages include:
The county name is a modified version of the Ojibwa term for southern boundary. It marked the boundary of the Ojibwa Nation. A portion of the county is the Stockbridge Munsee Indian Reservation. A large portion of the Navarino State Wildlife area is located in the county.
Wisconsinmade Artisan partners in Shawano County
- Generations Clothing in Shawano is a family-owned company specializing in sports team apparel for adults, children, toddlers and infants. Go Badgers! Go Packers!
- Century Sun Oil near Pulaski produces premium high oleic certified organic sunflower oil. All seeds are pressed and bottled in small batches in their state certified facility under close supervision to ensure integrity and quality of product. Century Sun Sunflower oil can be used for dressings and marinades and with a mild, nutty flavor along with a 450 degree smoke point is well suited for all your cooking needs. Century Sun Oil enhances the flavors of foods and is a great addition to your healthy lifestyle
- Nueskes Meats in Wittenberg are prepared using an Applewood smoking technique that has been handed down through generations.
- John Mutter authored five books about rural life and adventures in Wisconsin.
Additional Edible Antics Shawano County Recommendations
- Backe’s Brat House in Shawano is a small family owned spot specializing in Brats, Sausages and fresh meats.
- Bult Bakery in Shawano has baked goods are made from scratch daily, guaranteeing fresh products.
- Farm Inn’ on Main in Shawano is a restaurant and bakery combination with down home cooking.
- Pigeon River Brewing is a small craft brewer in Marion with handcrafted beers.
Summer fun with road trips to see some of these recommendations. Wisconsin offers so much for the visitor and people that live here too. We hope to see you at one of these stops sometime this summer. Look for a red Miata convertible with license plate WI MADE. Say hello! Hope you are having fun in Wisconsin too.
Join us next week as we continue our tour in Sheboygan and Taylor counties searching for people, places and edibles Made With Pride and Passion in Wisconsin