Edible Antics is traveling this week to Washburn and Washington counties in Wisconsin. One is Northwoods forest tourism and recreation area, the other is a tourism playground for urban visitors. We are finding the special Supper Clubs, bakeries, meat markets, breweries, bike trails, wineries, bed and breakfasts, parks, attractions and anything we think you might enjoy in each county we visit. We’ll post for you our Edible Antics recommended stops for each county.
The city of Shell Lake is the county seat of this 809 square mile county. 15,900 people live here. Other cities and villages include:
- Spooner – over 900 lakes and 350 miles of connected groomed snowmobile and ATV trails make this one of Wisconsin’s favorite recreation destinations.
- Birchwood – this Bluegill Capital hosts its annual Bluegill festival in July.
- Minong – the name is derived from the Ojibwa word for “good place”
Birchwood call itself the Bluegill Capital for its fishing popularity. The Totogatic County Park is a 1,600 acre park with extensive access to the Minong Flowage.
Spooner is the home of the Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum that celebrates canoeing with an exhibit of a variety of antique and historic canoes as well as work by contemporary builders. It is the only museum in the US focused on the heritage of the canoe.
Wisconsinmade Artisan partners in Washburn County
- DHH designs handcrafts wooden creations by David and Jeneice Haessig using their original designs. Each unique wooden piece is highly polished with a natural finish.
Mayana Chocolates – At Mayana, chocolate is seen as a canvas for beauty and vibrant flavors. The finest quality, all-natural ingredients are used in making their artisan creations.
Edible Antics Washburn County Recommendations
- Clover Meadow Winery in Shell Lake is the only certified organic winery in the Midwest with23 varieties of wine.
- Tagalong Golf Resort in Birchwood offers lodging on the lake, fine dining and golf.
- Spooner Train Ride – They run very popular robbery, western style, cowboy, and buffet style as well as more formal dinner trains. There is also an overnight bed and breakfast optional train ride offered.
- The Potter’s Shed in Shell Lake is and eclectic art gallery, cafe and music venue “like nowhere else.”
West Bend is the county seat of this 430 square mile county. 131,900 people live here. Other cities and villages include:
- Hartford – home to the Kissel Motor Car Company from 1907 to 1930. Also home to Erin Hills, a public golf course that will be the site of the 2017 US Open Golf Tournament.
- Germantown maintains its German heritage and traditional fachwerk architecture dating back to the 1840’s
- Slinger – is home to Little Switzerland ski area and Slinger Super Speedway, the world’s fastest quarter mile paved oval.
Washington County is the home of the Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary Help of Christians at Holy Hill popularly known as “Holy Hill.” This fully restored Basilica attracts many visitors each year to worship and take part in various fairs and festivals hosted here.
Originally this area was settled for agriculture and its rich farmlands but has evolved into many suburban communities for Milwaukee.
Wisconsinmade Artisan partners in Washington County
- Rustic Books has published a history of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) construction work and the history behind Copper Falls State Park.
- Cookies From Scratch by Laura Verage
are made from scratch with only the freshest ingredients and plenty of them. Living in the Dairy State gives her an advantage, with nearby local producers of quality ingredients. One by one, each cookie is baked with tender loving care.
Edible Antics Washington County Recommendations
- Isadora’s Bed and Breakfast in West Bend is a Queen Anne style Victorian home build in 1893.
- Hidden Serenity Bed and Breakfast in West Bend
- Gehring’s Meat Market in Hartford is a full service country meat market.
- House of Homemade Sausage in Germantown is a fourth generation family run butcher shop.
- Sweet Creations Village Bakery in Slinger features cakes and coffee in their cafe.
- Riverside Brewery and restaurant in West Bend offers craft beers and food too.
- Fox and Hounds Restaurant in Hubertus is a popular supper club in a beautiful rural setting
- The Copper Dock in Hubertus offers lake side dining on Friess Lake.
- Von Rothenburg Bier Stube in Germantown has both a traditional indoor beer hall and beautiful outdoor beer garden.
Travel Wisconsin to enjoy these recommended stops. The owners and staff at these locations look forward to serving you.
Join us next week as we continue our tour in Waukesha and Waupaca counties searching for people, places and edibles Made With Pride and Passion in Wisconsin