Edible Antics is currently posting virtual culinary tour entries from Wisconsin counties in alphabetical order. Click here for the full list. We are finding special Supper Clubs, bakeries, meat markets, breweries, wineries, bed and breakfasts, parks, attractions and anything we think visitors might enjoy in each county we visit. Some background information on each county is followed with specific links to our WisconsinMade artisan partners and to our Edible Antics recommendations for each county.
This week we continue our Wisconsin counties virtual culinary tour in Lincoln and Manitowoc counties looking for edibles and adventures.
28,700 people live in 883 square miles of this county with a county seat in Merrill. Other cities include Tomahawk and King. This area of Wisconsin is home to lakes, cabins, outdoors recreation areas and both summer and winter fun.
Northern Wisconsin’s Price, Lincoln and Vilas counties are a bicyclist’s dream, with over a million acres of public forest, thousands of miles of quiet roads and endless miles of beautiful woodland bike friendly trails. State maintained trails include the Hiawatha Trail and the Bearskin Trail. The hills, ridges and valleys occur at a scale that is absolutely perfect for pedaling and the thousands of gorgeous lakes, rivers and streams help to create the most spectacular scenery imaginable.
Edible Antics Lincoln County Recommendations:
- Lincoln County Courthouse is another classic Wisconsin County courthouse built in the early 1900’s and lovingly preserved
- T.B. Scott Free Library in 1905 offered the first English language classes for foreigners conducted in a Wisconsin public library
- University of Wisconsin Extension in Lincoln County
- Weinbrenner Shoe Company in Merrill has been making “working man” boots for the trades and military since 1892
- The Nokomis Pub in Tomahawk invites you to stop by for lunch or dinner, and enjoy a mug of craft beer with a view of the lake
- Wisconsin Veterans Home in King Open House and Old Car and vintage military vehicles show May 10, 2016 from 10:30AM to 3:00 PM in King Wisconsin
- The Central Wisconsin Concertina Festival was just celebrated last weekend April 22-24
- Lake Tomahawk Meat Market is a full service meat market but also offers fresh, cured, smoked meats and ground sausages all made on the premises. They also carry dairy, fresh bakery items, and assorted unique foods including signature sauces.
This county’s 591 square miles are home to 81,400 Wisconsinites. Manitowoc is the county seat. Along the Lake Michigan shore Manitowoc is the home port of the car ferry “Badger” a classic steam powered ship that crosses Lake Michigan from Manitowoc to Ludington Michigan. The city is home to a long shipbuilding history. From Iron ore carriers on the great lakes, to submarines during WW and includes luxury yachts fit to cruse the world’s oceans. Shipbuilding has been the core of the city’s industrial base.
But malted hops for the adult beverage industry has also been a local industry. Rahr Malting at the eastern end of one of Manitowoc’s main streets shows their dedication to one of their customers.
WisconsinMade artisan partners from Manitowoc County
- Willow Creek Mill is the maker of high quality baking mixes, made of the finest stone ground flours and ingredients containing no preservatives or additives
- Beerntsen’s Confectionary specialty chocolate and hard candy business is dedicated to preserving old family traditions and candy-making methods with the finest ingredients to ensure the unsurpassed quality and flavor of their sweet treats
- Silver Creek Industries is the premier source for American-made hand-painted art glass with the largest,most thematically diverse collection of painted art glass gifts and decor
- Faraway Farm makes hardwood cutting boards including those in the shape of the State of Wisconsin and is noted for quality craftsmanship using various woods.
- PDJ Cutting and Fabricating specializes in metal art creations for the home and garden. Using a computer numeric controlled (CNC) plasma cutter, they create distinctive yard and garden art, welcome signs, and outdoor and rustic décor items some of which can be personalized.
Additional Manitowoc County Recommendations:
- Henning’s Cheese in rural Kiel uses natural, as well as non-animal, ingredients and offers a line of Kosher approved cheeses for your enjoyment
- Newton Meats is a full service meat market in Newton, WI
- The Millhome Supper Club in Kiel is a classic Wisconsin Supper Club
- The Courthouse Pub is a microbrewery and restaurant across the street from the County Courthouse
- The Wisconsin Maritime Museum with the submarine USS Cobia welcomes visitors to tour the sub.
- Burger Boat Company manufactures beautiful custome yachts since 1863.
- Mariners Trail is a 5.5 mile recreational trail along the shores of Lake Michigan between Manitowoc and Two Rivers. The paved surface welcomes walkers, joggers, bikers and in-line skaters.
- Pinecreast Historical Village recreates a turn of the century Manitowoc County village with over 25 historical buildings from the County
- S.S Badger offers the largest cross-lake passenger service on the Great Lakes and an authentic steamship experience. The relaxing four-hour, 60-mile cruise takes passengers, autos, RVs, tour buses, motorcycles, bicycles, and commercial trucks across Lake Michigan between Ludington, Michigan and Manitowoc, Wisconsin
- Charter Fishing out Two Rivers searching for Lake Michigan Salmon and Trout
- Susie Q Fish Market in Two Rivers for fresh smoked fish
- Lincoln High School – home of Shipbuilders Basketball and the 1963 Wisconsin State High School Basketball Champions
We hope you have the opportunity to try these Edible Antics recommendations.
Join us next week as we visit Marathon and Marinette Counties searching for people, places and edibles made with pride and passion in Wisconsin.